Wednesday 26 September 2018

Green Shakshuka - Eat your greens- September



Today I am joining the September challenge Eat Your Greens hosted by Shaheen of Allotment2 kitchen and this month by The VegHog.



I have had the usual tomato based shakshuka lots of times but never have tried a green version.  I had heaps of bits and pieces of green veges when I was cleaning out my fridge and it seems a great opportunity.

So, I gathered them together along with some baby swiss chard and herbs from the garden,and gently fried them in oil. As I had a friend who was coming for lunch and might have turned up her nose at a dish of plain fried greens I added an egg or two for her.  For myself I added a tablespoon of coconut yogurt.



Some spring veges from my vegetable garden



Ingredients

1 leek sliced
1 celery stick sliced
Small handful of green beans sliced
½ green capsicum sliced
5 or 6 button mushrooms sliced (optional)
A couple of leaves of purple kale chopped into small pieces
Small bunch of spinach chopped
1 spring onion sliced
A few small leaves of swiss chard
Mint leaves
Parsley
Rocket handful
Salt pepper to taste
Dash of chili flakes
2 tbsp.  olive oil
3 or 4 green olives chopped small
1 egg person (vegan tbsp. coconut yogurt)
Chipotle Sauce



Fry the first 5 vegetables and the stalks of the swiss chard in olive oil till soft, add swiss chard leaves and mushrooms then the spinach and rest of herbs and the olives.

Add eggs if using  and fry covered till the egg is cooked but with the yolk runny.  For vegan version add table spoon of coconut yogurt per person just before serving.  To give it that little bit of smokey kick drizzle some Chipotle   Sauce over.  I also added some pistachio nuts and parsley on serving.





It was a lovely light lunch with some crusty bread.  Interestingly, my non-vegetarian/vegan friend said she loved the coconut yogurt with it and could have had it without the egg.  However next time I make this I might try using some cashew cream as I don’t think it would melt down as the coconut yogurt did.


9 comments:

  1. So nice to make your acquaintance Sharon. And my oh my, you have me salivating. Your eat your greens contribution is absolutely fantastic, I wish I could tuck into it - spices, herbs and lots of greens, perfect for a weekend breakfast or lunch. Thank you so much for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaheen. I have followed your blog for a number of years, sadly to say I lurked, I used to have a gardening blog about 8 years ago.

      Delete
    2. What was your gardening blog called Sharon? So many blogs I used to read 8 years ago or thereabouts, no longer exist sadly.

      Delete
  2. I love all the greens in this dish - I would have it without eggs but wonder if you could add in a vegan omelette - I love how you made the eggs for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have never made a vegan omelette, would you use tofu or chick pea flour? (I have only been vegan a month!)

      Delete
    2. I have a tofu besan (chickpea flour) omelette that I make regularly - I find using both tofu and besan makes it work well but I never ate egg omelettes before I tried these - I am vegetarian not vegan but I never liked eggs. This is my fave recipe - https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2016/11/tofu-besan-omelette-vegan.html

      Delete
  3. This is a nice idea and the dish looks so tasty and vibrant! Thank you so much for taking part in Eat Your Greens, the round up will be published tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this Eat Your Greens contribution Sharon! This dish looks absolutely incredible and I would love to try it. The Eat Your Greens round up is now up on my blog. I hope to see you there again next month. :)

    ReplyDelete

Green Vegetable Fritters (Vegetarian)

  Fritters have always been part of my family's diet.  When Mum got out the chopping board and the remains of the Sunday Roast we knew ...