Friday 8 May 2020

Jackfruit Goulash

This is a story of how Minestrone Soup turned into Jackfruit Goulash! Its also a story of how in these Covid-19 days we need to think on our feet as we cant just nip down to the supermarket for that missing item.



The weather has been telling us finally that winter is on the way, and I thought that a nice warming pan of Minestrone Soup was in order,  So I got underway fried of some onion,  carrot and celery added some capsicum, a nd while that was doing it thing I rummaged around in my store cupboard, no cannelloni beans, oh well I will cheat with a tin of Baked Beans, er only one can, which I really didn't want to use, as I like to keep a tin on hand for times that I am too tired to cook and beans on toast hits the spot.  But, somehow I have over stocked on Black bean 5 tins?!  So I started thinking Mexican or Brazilian, then I spied a tin of Jackfruit,  ummm I have been meaning to try Jackfruit in a stew as I kept on thinking that it was a bit like chicken. Goulash  popped into mind and I was away. Totally delish and even a lot better the next day as the sauce had a chance to permeate into the Jackfruit.  Have a go!

Ingredients

Serves 4
1 onion sliced
1 celery stick sliced
1 carrot cut into small chunks
1 capsicum sliced
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin of Black beans
1 tin of young Jackfruit in brine drained, rinsed and liquid squeezed out
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp of smoked paprika or ordinary sweet 
1 tbsp of fresh marjoram or origami   Use 1 tsp dried if fresh is not available
1 vegan chicken flavoured stock cube 
1 tsp sugar
squeeze of lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste 
bunch of  sliced kale (optional) 

Method 

 Fry the onion, celery and carrot for 5 minutes add the sliced capsicum and fry another 5 minutes gently.

Add the paprika and herbs and fry for 1 minute then add sugar, tomatoes, Jackfruit, beans add 1 cup of water with stock cube, bring to boil  and simmer gently for 20 minutes, add kale if using and cook a further 10 minutes or till  the sauce thickens.

Add a squeeze of lemon juice and season to taste. 
Serve with mash potato or rice.



NOTES
If leaving till the next day you may need to add more water as it thickens on standing.
About Jackfruit, I find that the briny taste can be vanished with soaking it in water for 2 hours, just make sure you squeeze all the liquid out. 
Freezes well. 
 

1 comment:

  1. We make a curry with young jackfruit. But, ripe jackfruit is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete

Green Vegetable Fritters (Vegetarian)

  Fritters have always been part of my family's diet.  When Mum got out the chopping board and the remains of the Sunday Roast we knew ...