Wednesday 20 May 2020

Crunchy Tofu and Cauliflower Satay

I love the flavour of satay!  Back in the day when I ate chicken, satay skewers were one of favourite meals.  In fact I still get cravings for them, the other day I was pressing the tofu for my usual crispy tofu, when it occurred to me I could replicate the chicken  satay with tofu. It was a duh moment. lol.  When I made the chicken satay I used to marinate the chicken in my favourite satay sauce (Watties A Bit on the Side Satay) cheat I know, but it so quick and yummy. So I marinated the tofu squares and as I had put in too much sauce I added sprigs of cauliflower. Then I dunked them in Panko Breadcrumbs and I was away laughing, so delicious, I will never crave the chicken again


Ingredients

  • Firm Tofu (pressed and cut into cubes 1 1/2- 2 cm)
  • Satay Sauce homemade or bottled (recipe below for homemade)
  • Panko Breadcrumbs, soft homemade breadcrumbs work well too.
  • Cauliflower florets
  • Oil for cooking

Method 

Place the cubes of tofu in a bowl pour over satay sauce, leave for 10 minutes or so. Take the tofu out of bowl and place on a plate  that has the Panko breadcrumbs and roll the cubes around till all sides are covered.
Put the cauliflower sprigs in the sauce and make sure that the sauce has covered them well.

Heat oil in frypan and place the cauliflower in pan and fry tossing from time to time, add tofu after 5 minutes turning tofu  as the sides brown (don't to as I did  and put the tofu in first as they only take minutes to cook)



 A lot of crumb falls of the cauliflower and tofu, but not to worry as they make nice crunchy bits.  Just be sure you keep an eye on it as the sugar content in the sauce can catch and char.

Serve with noodles or on a bed of rice and vegetables


 Homemade Satay Sauce

  • 1/2 cup salted crunchy peanut butter
  • 2-3 Tbsp tamari. if soy-free sub coconut aminos (opt, if leaving out taste at end you may need to add more salt)
  • 1 clove garlic crushed
  • 1-2 Tbsp brown sugar or sweetener of choice
  • 1/4 tsp chili flake or 1 red Thai chili, minced adjust to preferred spice level, chili can be left out
  • 2-3 Tbsp lime juice
  • 1/4 cup coconut cream
Add all ingredients together and mix well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Green Vegetable Fritters (Vegetarian)

  Fritters have always been part of my family's diet.  When Mum got out the chopping board and the remains of the Sunday Roast we knew ...