Saturday 1 September 2018

Accidental Vegan


Hello! I have finally taken the plunge and created this blog as a diary of my path to veganism.

For many years I flirted with vegetarianism, going back and forth, calling myself a five day a week vegetarian.  In June I was diagnosed with Bell’s Palsy and unfortunately it affected my ability to swallow, so for at least a month, all I could eat was mashed vegetables and smooth soups.  As I was able to add foods to my diet I noticed that I had lost my taste for eggs and meat altogether.  I had been diagnosed lactose intolerant many years ago, but still ate cheese and dairy yogurt in small amounts.  Because I was relying on dairy for my protein, I was suffering with my digestion and so on.  So, I was referred to a dietician at my local hospital.  After listening to my food preferences and what I had been eating for the previous week, he stated that I was virtually a vegan and perhaps if I followed that path consciously to have a balanced diet. I was astonished as I have vegan friends and always thought that it would be hard, Lol.

So, for the last three weeks I have been strictly vegan.  I have to say I am enjoying it, my digestion has improved immensely, and I have lost weight!  As my Bells Palsy improves and can add more foods to my repertoire I will experiment with vegetables from my garden and add new foods to my diet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Green Vegetable Fritters (Vegetarian)

  Fritters have always been part of my family's diet.  When Mum got out the chopping board and the remains of the Sunday Roast we knew ...